Sunday, January 25, 2009

Project 2: Single and Combined Figures

Its a pity I haven't quite got to posting some images yet but you will just have to be patient!

The next four postings will describe in more detail what I have proposed (as the individual parts of the Course Plan) for each project, starting with a reprise of the type of work I have been creating over the past couple of years. The OCA hasn't seen any of this yet so it seemed like a good place to start.

PROJECT 2: Single and Combined Figures

The purpose of this project is to establish a consistent and quality approach to expressive figure painting without attempting to impose any abstraction.
Much of the work I have been engaged in on my own account has led me towards this form of personal expression. There is a need for me to consolidate this manner and improve my painting technique.

Figure subjects will be derived from a range of possible sources including:
Existing sketchbooks;
Life drawings;
New sketches made from live performances (theatre, dance, music);
Film and TV; and from
Newspapers.

Figure paintings will be both in the singular and combined with others.
I want to start off from this existing base and show development and progress as the subsequent projects are tackled.
Theoretic Study: To study the figurative imagery and use of colour of particular artists whose work I admire, such as Chiam Soutine, Egon Schiele, Modigliani, Emile Nolde and the other German Expressionists (Macke and Kirchner) , and relate these to more contemporary artists.

Time Allocation: 6 weeks.
Outcomes: Sketchbook drawings;
Compositional and colour studies;
4 paintings;
Project commentaries;
Study thesis.

Since making this Project Statement I have decided to work to the theme "Dance", of which I intend to make a series of paintings from the pencil sketches I made in my sketchbook of Scottish Ballet's Sleeping Beauty (see previous posting) [and in fact, have already happily made a satisfactory start].

No comments: