Sunday, June 28, 2009

Pastel Studies 2

You have at least got to credit me with perseverance. Like a dog with a bone I will never give up if I think there is something more just around the corner!

The day after my lounging around in the garden I returned to my studio for another session with these pastel studies:

Pastel Study #1, pastels on paper, A4.
The intention here was not to try so hard as yesterday but with a lighter touch to draw "automatically" with softer colours that hopefully speak of gentler feelings.


Pastel Study #4, pastels on paper, A4.
Enjoying the shapes that arise but as yet still not speaking of any particular emotion that I can name.

But hard work always pays off in the end:

Pastel Study #10, pastels on paper, A4.
This study generated something I would come back to later, for in it I see a face! And that face appears to be having negative feelings.

These next two studies did not take me forward with that facial idea but I include them here as studies worthy of future abstract paintings:


Pastel Study #11, pastels on paper, A4.


Pastel Study #12, pastels on paper, A4.

Pastel Study #10 put down a marker in my mind. I wouldn't/couldn't yet respond fully to it, but I later saw it as a definite influence in what would follow.

No comments: