Saturday, April 11, 2009

Abstract Paintings #6, #7, and #8

More Sub-conscious Musings translated into larger paintings:

Started the day by doing some research for my Theoretical Study. Read right through a small book on the English artist "Patrick Heron", by Michael McNay, skimming past much of the background biographical detail (which I kind of know already) but focusing on anything related to Heron's thought's on abstract art and how he went about it.

What particularly interested me was how, in later years, he created these fantastic large canvases of free-floating shapes from what looks to me like a series of "doodles" that remind me very much of my own subconscious musings. My friend and fellow architect, Ian [now sadly gone], often said that "there was nothing new under the sun" and now I find Heron has been there before me using this method of creating his images. So I'm in good company!

So it was out to the studio in the afternoon to continue where I had left off yesterday, buoyed up by the thought that there was after all some validity in this method:

Abstract #6, acrylics on primed hardboard, 40.7x61cm.
Now, I don't consider this painting to be quite finished yet as there is a lot more I feel I can still do with it, but as another step along the way I am pleased with the design and colour scheme.

While I was waiting for the first coat of paint to dry sufficiently to take second coats I kept going with another in the same vein:

Abstract #7, acrylics on primed hardboard, 40.7x61cm.
Took this one a bit further with applications of further coats of paint which I worked into with scratched-in markings.

Finally, with Heron very much in mind I dug out one of my 'musings' from a few years ago and developed it up into this:

Abstract #8, acrylics on primed hardboard, 40.7x61cm.
Not as brilliant as I hoped!

All the while I was painting these three, questions were arising in my mind. The internal debate was raging around the idea that this type of painting has become far too formalised and more like illustration than painting. Not such a bad thing, but not what I am searching for. I like them as images, but feel that they each lack the spontaneity of "free" abstract painting.

Something needs to change...and it will.

No comments: